Partner, Commercial & Construction Lawyer, Head of
Pre-eminent advocate in practitioner misconduct defending practitioners in Victoria, NSW, Queensland, and the ACT. Expert construction litigator, highly experienced in medium to high dollar
litigation building and commercial disputes. A seasoned problem solver and negotiator, gives quality regulatory and front end contractual advice.
- Building & commercial dispute advocacy throughout Australia
- Pre-contractual and post contractual advice to builders, building practitioners and developers
- Appeals before Building Appeals Board, and Supreme courts in Victoria and inquiries before Building Practitioners Board and appeals at Administrative Decisions Tribunal in NSW
- Practices in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra, and provides advice to building professionals in Queensland
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Construction & Commercial
Dispute Resolution and Advocacy. Manages dispute resolution including negotiations and advocacy at VCAT, and representation at arbitrations and domestic and commercial building dispute forums.
Solves protection works and adjoining owner disputes.
Contract Advice and Drafting
Advises builders and owners on variations, latent conditions, extensions of time, progress payments and on Security of Payment claims, together with contract advice and drafting for builders,
building surveyors, architects and engineers.
Practitioner Misconduct Advocacy
Defends practitioners in licensing and disciplinary hearings in NSW and Victoria, in addition to professionals facing complaints in NSW and ACT. Defends building practitioners facing charges and
enquiries at the Magistrates Court and the Building Practitioners Board. Justin heads up practitioner advocacy within the firm.
Defended practitioners prosecuted by the WorkSafe Authority, and advocacy for building surveyors facing practitioner misconduct charges. Advice on issues under the Building Act and
Regulations and the Building Code of Australia (BCA) including protection works, Building Notices and Orders and adjoining neighbour disputes.
Familiarity with the Owners Corporation Act and providing advice and representation for lot owners and Owners Corporations in relation to defective building works, warranty insurance, and Owners
Corporation rules and procedures.
Probity and risk management advice, compliance in building and planning matters, property law and facilities/asset management legal advice.
Residential & Domestic Building Disputes
- Resolution of domestic building disputes
- VCAT advocacy
- Resolution of apartment and unit development disputes
- Domestic building contract advice and dispute resolution
Justin Cotton takes instructions in:
- Federal and Australian State & Territory disputes
- Representing offshore interests in Australia
- Trans-Tasman advice and disputes
- Mining and resources disputes
- Commercial and corporate debt recovery for offshore concerns requiring representation in Australia.
Commercial and Corporate "Front End"
- Contractual drafting and advice
- Preparation of partnership agreements
- Drafting of joint venture agreements
- Trade practices & competition law advice
- Employment law advice
- Drafting of employment agreements
- Intellectual property and copyright law advice
- Information technology (IT) law advice
- Drafting of IT and IP contracts, website and portal conditions
Commercial & Corporate Dispute Resolution
- Resolution of partnership disputes
- Resolution of Mining and Resources Disputes
- Resolution of joint venture disputes
- Resolution of intellectual property and information technology disputes
- Corporate debt recovery
- Resolution of property and commercial leasing disputes
- Resolution of sale and business disputes
- Representing and protecting the interests of offshore and international corporations doing business in Australia
Justin has diverse experience across the construction corporate law spectrum. A winner and resolute in protecting the client's interests.
The Lovegrove Solicitors E - Library
over 200 articles on the Lovegrove Solicitors E - Library. To access articles written by partner Justin Cotton and other lawyers of Lovegrove
Solicitors click hereE - Library.